Friday, October 16, 2009

The Responsible Mind


I'd like to continue in the same vein as my previous post on the nature of responsibility in practice and life. Certainly, we've all made excuses (for not practicing, etc.)..."IF only I had time...IF only I wasn't so sleepy...IF only I didn't have to work so hard... IF only things were more straightforward etc. etc." but it is in the act of just doing it (Nike stated it perfectly), whatever "it" may be, that we are able to grow.

A quote: "To protect yourself against negative influences, whether or your own making, or the result of the activities or negative people around you, recognize that you have a will-power, and put it into constant use, until it builds a wall of immunity against negative influences in your own mind"-Napoleon Hill (Thanks for the recommendation Rick! ;D )

Whether fighting the monkey mind or simply getting yourself to practice, it is important that we make time to do the things we plan to do. When doing stance/practice, we must recognize that we made the choice to do so and there we should carry through with our intention. If you find yourself getting off track, remind yourself "This is what I planned to do and I can worry about laundry etc. later" with the knowledge that we all have a choice in our own thoughts and actions. Having a strong will, perseverance, and sticking to one's word...these are all actions of the responsible mind.

2 comments:

  1. Napoleon Hill rocks dude! He went out to seek answers to his questions for 20 some years. Like gongfu he put his time in thinking about, asking those who were able to do it, and taking action himself. I glad you are enjoying reading his stuff. You should check in to Mr Demming and his thoughts on quality... Really good stuff there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response Rick! Reminds me of a quote I took to liking after reading it a few days ago on rumsoakedfist.org (consequently on a thread about an aikido forums debates on fascia):

    "1) Most people don't think enough (and intellectualizing is NOT the same as "thinking" in this case)
    2) Most people don't train enough
    3) Most people don't know how to combine 1 & 2

    Get parts 1-3 down, and things kind of start to happen all on their own"

    I've recently realized more and more that I am neither thinking enough nor training enough but find that the more I train, the more I get into it, and also, the more I GET out of it (when I actually think about what I'm doing on multiple levels)!

    ReplyDelete